Sunday, April 12, 2009

Post #7: Final Reflection

Before I took up this module, I thought communications? Shouldn’t that be easy? Everyone knows how to communicate. But through this course, I came to realize that they are in fact very complex, in terms of interpersonal relationships, cultural context and so on. There is so much more to be learnt from this topic and our lecturer, Miss Goh has exposed to us to various communication techniques through hands-on such as writing our resumes, minutes, business letters, blogs and our formal report. And it was also through the feedback that I have gotten from Miss Goh that I have learnt and digested some of these skills. The soft skills I have learnt in this course definitely cannot be picked up from your ordinary textbooks. It is certainly one of the most interesting modules I have ever taken.

Learning how to communicate verbally and non-verbally is also one of the most important take-home messages for this course. Through my course mates, Nie Jing and Mario who are certainly the best team mates around, I have also learnt how to work better in a team and was given a chance to improve on my communication skills. Thanks to them for tolerating me and helping me out on my share of work when I was busy juggling with my schedule and making this project experience a great one for me.

Although I did hope that my presentation skills would improve after this course, I do not deny that I was very disappointed with myself during my oral presentation. But as the saying goes “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” And hopefully with more presentation opportunities, I can improve on my skills and to come across as a better speaker in future.

But nonetheless, I have enjoyed myself tremendously throughout this course and thank you everyone, especially Miss Goh for making this course a enriching and fun one for me. =)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Huiwen, don't beat yourself too hard on the oral presentation, I think you did pretty alright! =)

    Anyway, I do agree with you that this is one of the most interesting modules I've taken so far and I have enjoyed it very much. The different techniques we picked up would, I believe, help us very much in not just our career but also in every aspect of our lives.

    I never saw how the way one carries herself can also be a form of communication. Anyway, I am glad you enjoyed this course as much as I have. Take care and all the best for your exams! =)

    Cheers,
    Shu Ting

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Huiwen,

    Time flies! No later than our project is over, this semester is coming to an end and I know what it means to you. Hope we have added to the happy memories of your NUS days.

    Communication has been everywhere in our daily life but it is not easy as you now realize. Before you utter a single word, your dressing in hip-hop-style T-shirts and pants has revealed your interest. Ease it may be when hanging around with good friends, it can be quite sticky to maintain good relationships with people in the workplace. And the multicultural nature of Singapore adds to the intricacies of communication. With the skills you picked up in this course and your passion to further hone up your communicating skills, I believe you will better enjoy your work life in near future.

    As Shu Ting said, don’t beat yourself up though your oral presentation may not be perfect as others’ were not either. The presentation review tomorrow will show us the strengths and weaknesses that we can have an idea where and how to improve, which is of greater importance. =P

    All the best for the exams!

    Cheers,
    Nie Jing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hui Wen,

    Interestingly written with a catchy opening! But can skills be digested? Haha, that’s something new...

    It certainly has been an enjoyable course. Putting aside all the resumes, minutes, business letters, blogs, formal report, and the oral presentation (don’t worry so much about it), I believe that as long as we have, as you said, learnt how to communicate verbally and non-verbally, that would be the most important take-home messages from this course.

    By the way, that quote “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts” was very aptly used. I like it a lot. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    Regards,
    Nicholas

    ReplyDelete